Being busy has become a national obsession, and it certainly affects lawyers. We seem to have two speeds: frantic and fearful because we aren’t frantic. We need to have a discussion about what might lie between these extremes, but an even more pressing question might be how to keep marketing going even when frantic. If you don’t keep it going, you may find yourself cycling from frantic to fearful before you have an opportunity to restart your marketing and bring in additional business.
You’ve no doubt heard that content is king for marketing, and there’s a simple reason: good content builds trust. Great content is easy to generate when you have plenty of spare time, but how do you keep up the flow of content when you’re frantic?
Repurpose everything. When you do something, look for other ways to use that same content. Here are a few of my favorites:
- An article can become multiple blog posts
- Blog posts can be broken down into blurbs suitable for use on LinkedIn or Twitter
- Any writing you do may yield a question suitable for opening a discussion in a LinkedIn group
- Any presentation you make may be uploaded via SlideShare (being attentive to potential copyright questions) and you can reuse the presentation points as blog posts
- Record a blog post, and you have a podcast (and podcasts are hot, hot, hot today—if they’re a good fit for your market)
- Client questions can spur an article
- Your reaction to a blog post or news story can yield a comment, which you might then expand into a blog post (as a guest, if you don’t have your own blog), an article, or a podcast
When it comes to repurposing, the sky is the limit. Make it your habit to ask, how else can I use this?
Even more importantly, ask where you can distribute it. Content won’t help you grow your practice unless it’s consumed by the right audience. Where it’s a fit for your practice, look for ways to appear in the relevant industry and popular media. And look for how you can use what you’ve done to build relationships as well.
What resources do you have that you can repurpose now to extend your reach?